Large Houses of Multiple Occupancy: What landlords need to know

Friday, 21 September 2018

If a house is three or more stories high and houses five or more tenants forming more than one household, then it is classed as a large House of Multiple Occupancy. Student houses are often classed as large Houses of Multiple Occupancy. Such houses come with certain obligations for the landlord.

In large Houses of Multiple Occupancy, landlords have certain specific responsibilities:

First, you must obtain a license from your local council (you can be fined and ordered to repay up to 12 months rent if you do not have a license).

You will be responsible for any repairs to communal areas of the home, as well as:

You must also make sure:

If you are renting out a large House of Multiple Occupancy and you would like help in making sure you are fully compliant with all rules and regulations, we offer a Managed service that ensures you are ticking all the right legal boxes. Give us a call on 01604 823456 to find out what your options are and how we can help you.